Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Agent: Creepy, yet effective



The whole idea of conversational agents is really awesome, but wow. When would I, as a single junior high teacher, have time to put together such a fabulous database of possible answers and questions? I would very much like to try to utilize this type of virtual help down the line, but for the time being, it would have to be something someone else has already designed.

I think it would be cool to try these with students and have them talk to each other. I would be curious to see how the conversations would go in that type of a setting; especially if we could have a class that knows I will read them and a class that knows I will not (even though I would) to see the discrepancies in conversations. I'm actually surprised no one has done this before.

4 comments:

Maurella said...

I wonder if such a project would be more feasible for you if you could get your colleagues to chime in with recorded responses--at least a little less time consuming.

Jenifer (JL) said...

I would imagine the agents would lose a great deal of respect if the reponsibility factor wasn't in place. I talked about the application of student responsibility regarding agents, and I'm still not sure how to handle this in the classroom.

Jenny said...

I think a comparison of how students would react to the agents with or without supervision would be fascinating! I can just imagine what would occur (thinking of the one article we read).

Christine said...

I haven't used conversational agents in class, but I have attempted classroom chat sessions based around the literature we read. (Basically a class discussion, but online.) Even though they know I'm monitoring their comments to each other, they still are inappropriate. I don't even want to think about what they'd say if I didn't monitor the discussion! Nice CA image, though...the scientist look reminds me of my 8th grade teacher!